Note: Entries marked as "USC restricted" can only be accessed from USC network connections. This is automatic if you are on campus. Click here for information on connecting from off-campus.
- EIU Online
Produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on "Enterprise Client Access" to launch the database, then click on Australia in the country menu to retrieve these reports:
- Country Reports are published monthly and cover the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some core industries.
- Country Profiles provide analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends. The Profiles are updated annually and have a large amount of detailed information.
- Country Commerce reports cover permits, licenses, foreign investment and other information for foreign companies doing business in Australia.
- ISI Emerging Markets
Click on the country link to 'Australia' to find industry, company, and macroeconomic information, plus news reports.
- Global Market Information Database
Keyword search "Australia" to find statistics and market reports on consumer goods; Search the 'Consumers' tab to find "Consumer Lifestyle" reports.
Find analyst reports on specific companies or broader industries. Advance search to retrieve reports published in Australia.
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. Search the "Country Commercial Guides" and "Industry Sector Analysis Reports" to find information on Australia.
- Country Commercial Guide
A guide produced by the U.S. Department of State, aimed at companies thinking of doing business in Australia, that summarizes political and economic conditions. This report is a PDF file that's more than 150 pages, so be aware before you print.
- Global Road Warrior
Contains basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics: Australia
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
Business climate is more difficult to summarize. You often need to read a variety of articles and build your own picture. These are some good resources for finding articles. Try searching for "Australia" and "business" and "trends" or "markets" or "finance." Also try limiting your search to the last few months.
Good source of current news. You can limit your search to publications from Australia by going to the "Region" section and drilling down to 'Australia'. Single-click on Australia to include all related publications in your search. USC restricted.
Good source of background information on business happenings in Australia. USC restricted.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
Another good source of international business news, though it is not as easy to limit your search here as it is in Factiva or ProQuest. USC restricted.
Search for articles written about business in these locally published Australian publications:
- Australian Newspapers Online: sponsored by the National Library of Australia
- OnlineNewspapers: Australia
- The Australian: the country's leading daily newspaper
- Australia The Age
- Australian Financial Review
- Business Review Weekly (some of this content is members-only)
Some suggested topics are "AUSTRALIA AND INDUSTRY TRENDS" or "AUSTRALIA AND [specific industry here]" or "AUSTRALIA AND BUSINESS."
Search HOMER for "AUSTRALIA and BUSINESS" or "AUSTRALIA and CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try other search terms as well. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall. Search eBrary to find full-text books online (USC network connection required).
- Australia Business (Crocker Library Reference HC605.A7736 1996)
A guidebook for doing business in Australia. Some of the information is dated, but there are very good sections on business culture and etiquette.
- Global Business Etiquette (Business Reference HF5389 .M375 2006)
- Global Etiquette Guide to Asia (Business Reference BJ1838 .F67 2000) Chapter 9: Australasian Cultures (pg. 187+)
- Global Business Practices (Business Reference HD58.7 S3477 2006)
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia (Business Reference Desk HF3011 .E9)
- Doing Business in Emerging Markets (Business Reference HD62.4 .C387 2002)
- Handbook of Country Risk (Business Reference HG 4538 R57)
- Global Competitiveness Report (Business Reference HF1414 G5563)
- CIA World Factbook
The CIA collects information on countries around the world into useful summaries of population, religious affiliations, demographic details and recent political events. Also includes images of national flags and political maps.
- Governments on the WWW: Australia
- Background Note: Australia: issued by the U.S. Department of State
- OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development: Australia
- International Monetary Fund: Australia
- BBC Country Profiles: Australia
- Economist Country Briefing: Australia
- Global Competitiveness Report indexed by the World Economic Forum
- Index of Economic Freedom: indexed by the Heritage Foundation
- Australia Governance Indicators, 1996-2009: compiled by the World Bank
- Doing Business in Australia: a 2010 World Bank profile report
- Doing Business in Australia: a PKF report
- Doing Business in Australia: social and business culture: issued by Communicaid (2007)
- Australia: Country RiskLine Report: a 2002 Dun&Bradstreet report
- Executive Planet: Australia: information on business and general etiquette
- Australia's Digital Economy: a 2009 report from the Australian Dept. of Broadband, Communications & Digital Economy
- Population and Australia's Future Labour Force: published by the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia (2008)
- Skilling Australia for the Future: an Election 2007 government policy document
- Australia: Trade At-A-Glance, 2009: a report by Australia's Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade
- Australia Intellectual Property Guide: compiled by Caslon Analytics
- Export.gov provides free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S. government:
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs): prepared annually by U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments.
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): in-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and subsectors within a given market.
- International Market Insights (IMIs): brief updates within a foreign country highlighting specific market opportunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Multilateral Development Bank Reports: international trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Australia Department of Finance and Deregulation
- Australia Department of Innovation, Industry, Science & Research
- Australia Treasury Department
- Australian Taxation Office
- Australian Securities & Investment Commission
- Western Australia Department of Industry and Resources
- Australia Business: a portal to government information and services
- Australia Free Trade Agreements: documented under the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
- Australian Guidelines for Electronic Commerce
- Embassy of Australia (in Washington, D.C.)
- Australian Consulate General (in Los Angeles)
- Governments on the WWW: Australia
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Australia
- Business Council of Australia
- American Australian Association
- American-Australian Free Trade Agreement Coalition
- Reserve Bank of Australia
- ASX: Australian Stock Exchange
- Australian Exporters
- ABARE: Australia Bureau of Agriculture & Economics
- People Going Global: Australia
Web portal with links to some interesting sites on Australia.
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
| back to top |