USC Subscription-Based Online Resources
- The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on "Enterprise Client Access" to launch the database, then click on United Arab Emirates in the country menu to retrieve these reports:
- "Country Report" covers the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some specific industries.
- "Country Profile" provides analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends.
- ISI Emerging Markets includes U.A.E. (United Arab Emirates), and is a good source of country, industry, business, macroeconomic and news information. Note: Some of the information is written in Arabic and may require a special character set on your computer.
- Global Market Information Database
Click on 'Countries' to begin searching for specific indicators. Under 'Consumers' find "Consumer Lifestyle Reports" by country (United Arab Emirates).
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. STAT-USA compiles information that is produced by the U.S. government. Much of this information is freely available elsewhere; see "Export.gov" below.
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
Find market research reports on a number of commodities. Keyword search "United Arab Emirates" or "Dubai."
- Global Road Warrior
Find basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook contains general information.
- U.S. Commercial Service: United Arab Emirates
- Background Note: United Arab Emirates: issued by the U.S. State Department
- BBC Country Profiles: United Arab Emirates
- Economist Country Briefing: United Arab Emirates
- International Monetary Fund: United Arab Emirates
- World Bank: United Arab Emirates
- United Arab Emirates Country Report: published by Rabobank, 2007
- Index of Economic Freedom: United Arab Emirates: issued by the Heritage Foundation
- Global Competitiveness Report: United Arab Emirates: issued by the World Economic Forum
- Doing Business, 2009: country profile for United Arab Emirates: issued by the World Bank
- Doing Business in the Dubai International Financial Centre: published by PriceWaterhouseCoopers in 2006
- US-UAE Trade & Investment Relationship: issued by the U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council in 2008
- United Arab Emirates: forecast, October 2008: published by Oxford Economics
- U.A.E. Business Optimism Index (Q4 2008): issued by Dun & Bradstreet
- Dubai Strategic Plan 2015
Free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S. government:
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs): prepared annually by the U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments.
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): in-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and subsectors within a given market.
- International Market Insight (IMIs): brief updates within a foreign country highlighting specific market opportunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Multilateral Development Bank Reports: international trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
- Executive Planet: Business Etiquette and Culture in U.S. Top Trading Partner Nations: United Arab Emirates
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "UNITED ARAB EMIRATES and BUSINESS" or "DUBAI and BUSINESS" or "UNITED ARAB EMIRATES and CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try other search terms as well. NOTE: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall. You can also find full-text books online through eBrary.
- Global Business Practices (Reference HD58.7 S3477 2006)
- Cross-Cultural Business Behavior (Reference HF5389 .G47 2002x)
- Global Etiquette Guide to Africa and the Middle East (Reference BJ1838 .F669 2002)
- Doing Business in Emerging Markets (Reference HD62.4 .C387 2002)
Search for articles written about business in the United Arab Emirates or Dubai in ProQuest, Factiva and Lexis/Nexis Academic. Some possible topics are "DUBAI and INDUSTRY TRENDS" or "DUBAI and [specific industry here]" or "DUBAI and BUSINESS." NOTE: These are USC subscription-based resources.
Also look at locally published resources:
- OnlineNewspapers: United Arab Emirates
- The National
- Gulf News
- Arabian Business
- Dubai Chronicle
- Dubai Business Magazine
- United Arab Emirates government portal
- U.A.E. Ministry of Finance (in Arabic)
- U.A.E. Ministry of Economy: Investor's Guide
- Government of Dubai
- Dubai Industrial Development Center
- Central Bank of the U.A.E.
- National Bank of Dubai
- Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange
- Dubai Multi Commodities Centre
- Dubai Chamber of Commerce
- U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council
- American Business Council of Dubai & the Northern Emirates
- Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf
- AME/AsiaMiddleEast Info
- U.A.E. Interact: business center portal
- Dubai World Trade Centre
- Dubai Silicon Oasis
- Dubai Business Minds: a B2B portal
- Dubai Outsource Zone
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.