USC Subscription-Based Online Resources
Note: Entries marked as "USC restricted" can only be accessed from USC network connections. This is automatic if you are on campus. Click here for information on connecting from off-campus.
- EIU Online
The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts on the political, economic, and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on the "Enterprise Client Access" link to launch the search module and select "Hungary" from the Country menu to retrieve these reports:
- Country Reports and published monthly and cover the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and select core industries.
- Country Profiles provide analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends. The Profiles are updated annually and contain a great deal of detailed information.
- Country Commerce reports cover permits, licenses, foreign investments and information for companies doing business in Hungary.
- ISI Emerging Markets
Includes Hungary and is a good source of country, industry, business and macroeconomic information. Some information in Hungarian. USC restricted.
- Global Market Information Database
Keyword search "Hungary" to find statistics and market reports on consumer goods; Click on the 'Consumers' tab to retrieve "Consumer Lifestyle" reports for many countries. USC restricted.
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. Find country information and market research by searching the Industry Sector Analysis Reports and Country Commercial Guides. STAT-USA compiles reports that are produces by the U.S. Governement. Much of this information is freely available elsewhere, such as Export.gov. USC restricted.
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S. that can be sorted by trading partners.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics: Hungary
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
- Global Road Warrior
Contains basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
Find market research reports on a number of commodities; keyword search "Hungary."
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook: Hungary
The CIA collects information on countries around the world into useful summaries of population, religious affiliations, demographic details and recent political events. Also includes images of national flags and political maps.
- Country Commercial Guide
A guide produced by the U.S. Department of State, aimed at companies thinking of doing business in Hungary, that summarizes political and economic conditions. This report is a PDF file that's more than 150 pages long, so be aware before you print.
- Background Note: Hungary: issued by the U.S. Department of State
- BBC Country Profile: Hungary
- Economist Country Briefings: Hungary
- International Monetary Fund: Hungary
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: Hungary
- World Bank: Hungary
- World Bank Enterprise Surveys: Hungary (2005)
- Hungary in the European Union: a 2004 Ministry of Foreign Affairs profile
- Index of Economic Freedom: issued by the Heritage Foundation
- Global Competitiveness Report: indexed by the World Economic Forum
- Hungary Trade-at-a-Glance: published by the World Bank
- Doing Business in Hungary: a 2009 World Bank Report
- Doing Business in Hungary: a 2009 Lex Mundi report
- Doing Business in Hungary: a 2007 Communicaid profile
- Hungary: trading and investment partner
- Hungary Business Practices and Protocol
- Hungary Risk Report: assessment by PRI-Center.com
- Export.gov provides free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S. government:
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs): prepared annually by U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments.
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): in-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and subsectors within a given market.
- International Market Insight (IMIs): brief updates within a foreign country highlighting specific market opportunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Multilateral Development Bank Reports: international trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "HUNGARY AND BUSINESS" or "HUNGARY AND CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try searching other terms as well. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall. You can also find full-text books online through eBrary.
In Crocker Library
- Global Business Etiquette (Reference HF5389 .M375 2006)
- Global Business Practices (Reference HD58.7 .S3477 2006)
- Cross-Cultural Business Behavior (Reference HF5389 .G47 2002x)
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia (Reference Desk HF3011 .E9)
- Doing Business in Emerging Markets (Reference HD62.4 .C387 2002)
- Global Competitiveness Report (Reference HF1414 .G5563)
- Handbook of Country Risk (Reference HG4538 .R57)
Business climate is more difficult to summarize. You often need to read a variety of articles and build your own picture. These are some good resources for finding articles. Try searching for Hungary and business and trends or markets or finance. Also try limiting your search to the last few months.
Good source of current news. You can limit your search to publications from Hungary by going to the publications library, selecting "Change publications" and then navigating through the region menu. USC restricted.
Good source of background information on business happenings in Hungary. USC restricted.
Another good source of international business news, though it is not as easy to limit your search here as it is in Factiva or ProQuest. USC restricted.
Search for articles written about business in these locally published Hungarian publications:
- Budapest Business Journal
Business Hungary: published by the American Chamber of Commerce in Hungary
- Hungarian Central Statistical Office
- Government of Hungary
- Hungarian Investment and Trade Development Agency
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the Republic of Hungary
- Hungary Ministry for National Development & Economy
- Business Council for Sustainable Development in Hungary
- Hungarian Association for Innovation
- Hungarian Competition Authority/Gazdasagi Versenyhivatal
- Magyar Nemzeti Bank/National Bank of Hungary
- Hungarian Development Bank
- Embassy of Hungary (in Washington, D.C.)
- Consulate General of Hungary (in Los Angeles)
- Governments on the WWW: Hungary
- Hungary Business Center
- Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- American Chamber of Commerce in Hungary
- Hungarian Joint Venture Association
- American-Hungarian Executive Circle
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at email@example.com