USC Subscription-Based Online Resources
Note: Entries marked as USC restricted can only be accessed from USC network connections.
Click here for information on connecting from off-campus.
- EIU Online
The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on the "Enterprise Client Access" link to launch the search module and select "Ireland" from the Country menu to browse these reports: (Choose the html version for easiest navigation; this lets you jump to specific sections of the report.)
- "Country Report" covers the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some specific industries.
- "Country Profile" provides analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends.
- Global Market Information Database
'Text Search' "Ireland" to find statistics and market reports on consumer goods. Under the 'Consumers' tab find "Consumer Lifestyle" reports by country (Ireland).
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. STAT-USA compiles information that is produced by the U.S. Government. Much of this information is freely available elsewhere, such as Export.gov.
- Investext Plus
Find analyst reports on public companies or the Irish economy in general ('Keyword' search "Ireland" or "Irish")
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S. that can be sorted by trading partner.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
- Global Road Warrior
Contains basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook
The CIA collects information on countries around the world into useful summaries of population, religious affiliations, demographic details and recent political events. Also includes images of national flags and political maps.
- Country Commercial Guide
A guide produced by the U.S. Department of State that summarizes political and economic conditions and is aimed at companies who are thinking of doing business in Ireland.
- Background Note: Ireland
Issued by the U.S. Department of State
- BBC Country Profile: Ireland
- The Economist: Ireland Country Briefing
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: Ireland
- International Monetary Fund: Ireland
- Global Competitiveness Report: Ireland: issued by the World Economic Forum
- World Bank Enterprise Survey: Ireland (2005)
- National Competitiveness Council
Issues an annual report ranking performance and listing challenges.
- Index of Economic Freedom: Ireland: issued by the Heritage Council
- Building Ireland's Knowledge Economy: the Irish Action Plan for Promoting Investment and R&D to 2010
- National Strategic Reference Framework for Ireland (European Union Regional Policy, 2007-2013)
- Doing Business In Ireland: issued by PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Doing Business Ireland (2007): issued by UHY
- Knowledge and Enterprise Clusters in Ireland: published in October 2008 by the Dept. of Enterprise, Trade & Employment
- Bank of Ireland Quarterly Outlook (October 2008)
- Private Irish Business Outlook: issued in 2007 by KPMG and Amarach
- Executive Planet: Business Etiquette and Culture in U.S. Top Trading Partner Nations: Ireland
- Export.gov provides free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S. government:
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs) prepared annually by the U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments.
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): in-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and subsecotrs within a given market.
- International Market Insight (IMIs): brief updates within a foreign country highlightiling specific market opoortunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Mulitlateral Development Bank Reports: international trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "IRELAND AND BUSINESS" or "IRELAND AND CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try other search terms as well. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall. Find additional full-text books online through eBrary.
- Global Business Etiquette (Reference HF5389 .M375 2006)
- Global Business Practices (Reference HD58.7 S3477 2006)
- Global Etiquette Guide to Europe (Reference BJ1838 .F673 2000) (Ireland: pg.31+)
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia (Reference Desk HF3011 .E9)
Business climate is more difficult to summarize. You often need to read a variety of articles and build your own picture. These are some good resources for finding articles. Try searching for "Ireland" and "business and trends" or "markets" or "finance". Also try limiting your search to the last few months.
Good source of current news. You can limit your search to publications from Ireland by doing a basic search and selecting Ireland in the "Regions" field. USC restricted.
Good source of background information on business happenings in Ireland. Use the guided search to limit your search to the geographical name Ireland. USC restricted.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
Another good source of international business news, though not as easy to limit your search as Factiva or ABI/Inform. USC restricted.
Search for articles written about business in these locally published Irish resources:
- Central Statistics Office of Ireland
- Government of Ireland
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Governments on the WWW: Ireland
- Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment
- Embassy of Ireland (Washington, DC)
- Ask Ireland
- National Irish Bank
- Irish Stock Exchange
- Invest In Ireland
- FinFacts: Ireland's Business & Finance Portal
- Enterprise Ireland
- BASIS: Business Access to State Information & Services
- Irish Business & Employers Confederation
- Ireland-U.S. Council
- Chambers Ireland (contains links to various Chambers of Commerce in Ireland)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland
- Small Business in Ireland (published by the Ireland Central Statistics Office, 2007)
- Irish Independent: Best Companies to Work For, 2008
- Industrial Development Authority
- Irish Euro Information Centre
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at email@example.com.
| back to top |