Note: Entries marked as USC restricted can only be accessed from USC network connections. This is automatic if you are on campus. Click here for information on connecting from off-campus.
USC Subscription-Based Online Resources
- EIU Online
The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on the 'Enterprise Client Access' link to launch the search module and select "Italy" from the Country menu to browse these reports:
- "Country Report" covers the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some specific industries.
- "Country Profile" provides analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends.
- "Country Commerce" covers permits, licenses, foreign investments and other information for companies doing business in Italy.
- Global Market Information Database
Keyword search "Italy" to find statistics and market reports on consumer goods. Search the 'Consumers' tab to find Consumer Lifestyle reports for countries worldwide. USC restricted.
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. STAT-USA compiles information that is produced by the U.S. Government. Much of this information is freely available elsewhere, such as Export.gov.
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S. that can be sorted by trading partners.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
- Global Road Warrior
Contains basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
Find market research reports on a number of commodities; Keyword search "Italy."
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "ITALY AND BUSINESS" or "ITALY AND CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try other search terms as well. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall. Also, search eBrary to find full-text books online.
In Crocker Library
- The Global Etiquette Guide to Europe (Reference BJ1838 .F673 2000) Chapter 15: Italy (pg. 214+)
- Global Business Etiquette (Reference HF5389 .M375 2006)
- Global Business Practices (Reference HD58.7 S3477 2006) Chapter 5 covers Mediterranean Europe
- Global Competitiveness Report (Reference HF1414 .G5563)
- Handbook of Country Risk (Reference HG4538 .R57)
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia (Reference Desk HF3011 .E9)
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook
The CIA collects information on countries around the world into useful summaries of population, religious affiliations, demographic details and recent political events. Also includes images of national flags and political maps.
- Country Commercial Guide
A guide produced by the U.S. Department of State, aimed at companies thinking of doing business in Italy, that summarizes political and economic conditions. This report is a 146-page PDF file, so be aware before you print.
- Background Note: Italy: issued by the U.S. Department of State
- International Monetary Fund: Italy
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: Italy
- World Trade Organization: Italy
- BBC Profile: Italy
- Economist Country Briefing: Italy
- Global Competitiveness Report: Italy: indexed by the World Economic Forum
- Index of Economic Freedom: issued by the Heritage Foundation
- Italy Prosperity Index, 2008: indexed by the Legatum Institute
- European Cohesion Policy in Italy, 2007-2013: an European Union paper
- Worldwide Governance Indicators, 1996-2008: Italy: World Bank rankings
- Italy Trade-at-a-Glance: a 2008 World Bank profile
- Doing Business in Italy: a 2009 World Bank report
- Doing Business In Italy, 2008-2009: an UHY report
- Doing Business in Italy: a Communicaid profile
- People Going Global: Italy: portal with links to interesting sites on Italian business, government and culture
- Executive Planet: Italy: excellent information on business and general etiquette
- Export.gov provides free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S. government:
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs): prepared annually by U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments.
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): in-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and subsectors within a given market.
- International Market Insight (IMIs): brief updates within a foreign country highlighting specific market opportunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Multilateral Development Bank Reports: international trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
Business climate is more difficult to summarize. You often need to read a variety of articles and build your own picture. These are some good resources for finding articles. Try searching for "Italy" and "business" and "trends" or "markets" or "finance." Also try limiting your search to the last few months.
Good source of current news. You can limit your search to Italy by highlighting that country in the Region drop-down menu. USC restricted.
Good source of background information on business happenings in Italy. USC restricted.
Another good source of international business news, though it's not as easy to limit your search here as it is in Factiva or ProQuest. USC restricted.
Search for articles written about business in these locally published Italian publications:
- OnlineNewspapers: Italy
- It-Biz: monthly magazine (in Italian)
- Millionaire: covers Italian business news (in Italian)
- The American: monthly magazine for English-speaking residents covering political and cultural news
- ISTAT: Instituto Nazionale di Statistica (in Italian)
- Italia: government portal for citizens
- Istituto Nazionale per il Commercio Estero/National Institute for Foreign Commerce (in Italian)
- Ministero dell'Economia e delle Finanze (in Italian)
- Embassy of Italy (in Washington, D.C.)
- Consulate General of Italy (in Los Angeles)
- Governments on the WWW: Italy
- Italy-America Chamber of Commerce
- Italian Chambers of Commerce
Portal of the system of Italian chambers of commerce, industry and business.
- Italian Institute for Foreign Trade
- Italian Trade Commission
- BAIA: Business Association Italy America
- Bridges to Italy: based in Los Angeles
- ItalBiz: a marketplace portal
- Bank of Italy
- Borsa Italiano (Italian Stock Exchange)
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.