USC Subscription-Based Online Resources
- The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Go to the section on Singapore and browse the following:
- "Country Report" covers the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some specific industries.
- "Country Profile" provides analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends.
- "Country Commerce" covers permits, licenses, foreign investment and other information for foreign companies doing business in Singapore.
- ISI Emerging Markets
Includes Singapore, and is a good source of country, industry, business and news information.
- Global Market Information Database
Focuses on other countries, but you can find some useful reports by doing a keyword search for Singapore.
Select Globus/NTDB for international information. STAT-USA compiles information that is produced by the U.S. Government. Much of this information is freely available elsewhere; see "Export.gov" below.
- Global Road Warrior
Find basic country profiles and cultural and business etiquette information.
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S. that can be sorted by trading partner.
- World Marketing Data and Statistics
Detailed demographics, market sizes and information on consumer goods.
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook has general information.
- Country Studies Area Handbook: Prepared for U.S. military and foreign service personnel, these offer a brief history of a country, describe its culture and survey the country's economic and political environment. These are book-length reports which can be retrieved a section at a time.
- Background Note: Singapore
Issued by the U.S. Department of State
- International Monetary Fund: Singapore
- BBC Country Profile: Singapore
- Economist Country Briefing: Singapore
- Singapore Economic & Political Reports
Covers investment climate, trade barriers and quarterly trade data compiled by the U.S. Embassy
- Singapore Outlook, 2008: issued by the Asian Development Bank
- Federation of International Trade Associations: Singapore
- Global Competitiveness Report: indexed by the World Economic Forum
- Global Enabling Trade Report: Singapore, 2008: indexed by the World Economic Forum
- Index of Economic Freedom: Singapore: compiled by the Heritage Foundation
- Singapore Country Progress Report, 2006: published by AFACT
- Executive Planet: Business Etiquette and Culture in U.S. Top Trading Partner Nations (Singapore)
- Doing Busines In ... Singapore: an HDLB report
- Rand Center for Asia Pacific Policy
Free access to four major sources of information produced by the U.S government. Select "Market research reports" and then "Singapore" for a comprehensive list of available information.
- Country Commercial Guides (CCGs): Prepared annually by U.S. embassy staff, CCGs contain information on the business and economic situation of foreign countries and the political climate as it affects U.S. business and foreign investments
- Industry Sector Analyses (ISAs): In-depth analysis of specific industry sectors and sub-sectors within a given market.
- International Market Insight (IMIs): Brief updates within a foreign country highlighting specific market opportunities, trade events, or changes in market conditions.
- Multilateral Development Bank Reports: International trade opportunities and financing information through the various multilateral development banks throughout the world.
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "Singapore AND BUSINESS" or "Singapore AND CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. Try other search terms as well. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall.
- Global Business Etiquette (Business Reference HF5389 .M375 2006)
- Global Business Practices (Business Reference HD 58.7 S3477 2006)
- Cross-Cultural Business Behavior (Business Reference HF5389 .G47 2002)
Search for articles written about business in Singapore in ABI/Inform, Factiva and Lexis/Nexis. Some possible topics are "Singapore AND INDUSTRY TRENDS" or "Singapore AND [your industry here]" or "Singapore AND BUSINESS." Note: These are USC subscription-based resources.
Search for articles written about business in these locally published Singapore publications:
- Statistics Singapore
- Yearbook of Statistics Singagpore, 2008 (Section 8: Companies & businesses)
- World Bank's Data and Statistics section
- Singapore Infomap
Official government site that serves as a portal to Singapore information.
- Singapore Stock Exchange
This has a Java ticker and is best viewed in Netscape.
- Singapore Ministry of Trade and Industry
- Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Singapore Investment Banking Association
- Singapore Manufacturers' Federation
- U.S.-ASEAN Business Council
- U.S.-Singapore Free Trade Agreement Business Coalition
- Singapore International Chamber of Commerce
- American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore
- TradeExchange (sponsored by the Singapore government)
A web portal to business resources in Singapore
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between the hours of 9:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday
- E-mail the libary staff at email@example.com