USC Subscription-Based Resources
- The EIU produces objective and timely analysis and forecasts of the political, economic and business environment in more than 180 countries. Click on the "Enterprise Client Access" link to launch the search module and select the United States from the Country menu to browse these reports:
- "Country Report" covers the economy, the economic outlook, political scene, economic policy and some specific industries.
- "Country Profile" provides analysis of historical, political, infrastructure and economic trends.
- "Country Commerce" is an update and includes operating environment, organising an investment, incentives, licensing, economics, etc.
- STAT-USA is a good source of international trade information and analysis. Select "Globus/NTDB" for current trade figures. "State of the Nation" contains statistics on the economy and national accounts.
- Global Market Information Database
Keyword search "United States" to find statistics and market reports on consumer goods. USC restricted.
- USA Trade Online
Import and export information for the U.S. that can be sorted by trading partner.
Generally Available Online Resources
- CIA World Factbook
The CIA collects information on countries from around the world into convenient profiles including summaries of population, religious affiliations, demographic details and political events. Also includes images of national flags and political maps.
- BBC Country Profiles: United States of America
A government portal containing global marketplace information on tariffs, trade events and market research.
- Center for the Study of Westen Hemispheric Trade
Sponsored by the University of Texas at Austin
- International Monetary Fund: United States
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: United States
- Federation of International Trade Associations: United States
- Doing Business in the United States: an HLBI report
- Executive Planet's guide to business culture in the United States: An excellent overview of business culture and etiquette.
The USC Libraries
Search HOMER for "UNITED STATES AND BUSINESS ETIQUETTE" or "UNITED STATES AND CULTURE" to locate books on these topics. You will need to try other search terms as well, as these are large subject areas. Note: If a book is checked out, it can take up to two weeks to recall.
- Prentice Hall Complete Business Etiquette Handbook (Business Reference HF5389 .P33 1995)
You will need to focus on specific companies or industries. Other good sources are Standard and Poor's NetAdvantage for company and industry research as well as OneSource.
Note: These are USC subscription-based resources.
Search for articles written about business in these generally published sources:
- United States Census Bureau
A wealth of detailed demographic information. Use the American FactFinder to develop details for the country as a whole, state, county or city levels.
Gateway to federal agencies that collect statistics on a wide range of topics.
- United States Info
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Trade Stats Express
- United States International Trade Commission
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States Bureau of Economic Analysis
- United States Bureau of Labor Statistics
- International Trade Data System
- Business Trade and Services Reports
Compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau
- Export-Import Bank of the United States
- U.S. Commercial Service
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. Customs
Import and export information
- County Business Patterns
Compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
There is a huge universe of information freely available online on culture and doing business in the United States. These are some starting points. Our subscription resources will have a great deal of information as well. Use our Database Selection Guide as a starting point for these resources.
Official portal to all government sponsored websites for business
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- United States Council for International Business
- American Association of Exporters and Importers
- Yahoo Directory of Society and Culture sites
- Business Resources on the Web
Collected and maintained by Foster Business Library at the University of Washington.
- Try more resources on our International Business and Marketing page.
- Visit Crocker Library (HOH 201) between 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Email the library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org